Jack Lowe, Advanced Welding Program Coordinator
The AAS Advanced Welding Degree is designed to prepare students to enter employment or upgrade skills for advancement in various areas of the welding field. The curriculum focuses on the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for a successful career as a welder, welding inspector, welding educator, quality control inspector, shop supervisor, or a variety of other positions that support these areas within the field of welding. The program covers a broad spectrum of welding technology including Basic and Intermediate Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Basic Gas Metal Arc Welding/Flux Core Arc (GMAW/FCAW), Basic Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW), Weld Theory, Fabrication and Weld Inspection. These courses will also serve as a complement to existing Associate degree programs at Pierpont; students in other degree programs may enroll in these courses as appropriate and as an enhancement to their primary program of study.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the AAS Advanced Welding Professional degree, graduates will be able to do the following within the welding industry:
- Recognize, evaluate, and remove safety hazards within work area.
- Demonstrate proper setup and safety of welding equipment associated with the SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, and GTAW processes.
- Perform required thermal cutting operations.
- Perform welding of beads, fillets, and groove welds in all positions utilizing SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, and GTAW processes.
- Assess and apply the best choice of different types of metal for various welding applications.
- Read, discriminate, and apply the requirements of ASME, API, and AWS codes.
- Write procedures and qualify procedures and welders to the above codes.
The AAS Advanced Welding Degree is geared towards those who are seeking a career in high demand and highly technical career field offering annual entry-level salaries of $35,000 and up. The median annual wage for welders, cutters, solderers, and brazers was $41,380 in May 2018. (US Department of Labor Data). The program enhances the student's ability to advance in position and income throughout his or her career. These careers offer annual salaries of $80,000 or more depending on career choices and the ability to travel.