Lori Barrett, Early Childhood Education Program Coordinator
Laboratory Preschool Director
144 Education Building / (304)367-4848
Locust Avenue Campus
The Early Childhood Education Associate of Applied Science Degree includes the study of the growth and development of young children as well as the planning, preparation and implementation of appropriate curriculum and environments for early childhood programs. The program provides students with opportunities to gain practical experience working with children at the Locust Avenue campus Laboratory Preschool and in early childhood programs within the community.
NOTE: Students in this program must pass a background check during the first semester of their program.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the AAS degree in Early Childhood Education, graduates will be able to do the following:
- Plan, prepare and implement appropriate curriculum for a high-quality early childhood program based on a knowledge of child development and best practices
- Plan classroom learning environments that are developmentally appropriate
- Demonstrate appropriate communication skills, teaching methods and professional conduct while working with young children
- Demonstrate an understanding of all West Virginia Child Care Licensing regulations for center employees
- Demonstrate ability to implement West Virginia Early Learning Standards while working with young children
Graduates with the Early Childhood Education Associate of Applied Science Degree are qualified to teach in child care centers, public pre-k teaching assistant, Head Start programs, private nursery schools, and work as a Nanny. Graduates meet state requirements to be the director of a Type I, II or III child care center in the state of West Virginia. Other employment opportunities include positions in public and private organizations providing services for children. Pierpont C&TC has an articulation agreement that allows graduates with the Early Childhood Education AAS Degree to apply all credit hours towards a Child Development and Family Studies Bachelor of Science, Birth through Pre-Kindergarten teacher certification degree at West Virginia University.