Vickie Findley, Health Sciences Program Coordinator
Advanced Technology Center / (304)367-4716
The Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree in Health Science provides students with the opportunity to build upon the knowledge gained in a professional skill set or certificate degree program and earn an associate's degree. Students may complete some of the requirements toward the A.A.S. degree while enrolled in the skill set or certificate degree curriculum. Students with prior national certification in a health care field may also be able to transfer credits to fulfill the required area of emphasis in the curriculum. The credits earned through national certification can be from a variety of careers, including but not limited to emergency medical technician, medical administrative assistant, phlebotomy, laboratory assistant, and licensed practical nurse.
All students entering the A.A.S degree Health Sciences must meet the following criteria:
- Have completed or be enrolled in a health care related skill set or Certificate of Applied Science (CAS) program in order to fulfill the area of emphasis requirement in the curriculum. Admission to a specialty area is not guaranteed
- Must pass a criminal background clearance, meet health and immunization requirements and essential functions, and provide their own transportation to assigned clinical sites, if accepted into a skill set or CAS program
NOTE: Completion of all or part of the A.A.S. degree in Health Sciences does not guarantee selection into any of the other health sciences associate degree programs offered at Pierpont Community & Technical College.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the A.A.S. degree in Health Sciences, graduates will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate knowledge of and competence in a chosen field of state or national certification
- Communicate verbally and in writing with patients, clients, health care delivery personnel and peers in an effective, appropriate, and capable manner
- Use critical thinking, technological, and mathematical skills to complete work assignments and solve work problems
- Demonstrate professional behavior that meets legal, ethical, responsible, and safe standards with respect for individuals and cultures
The associate's degree can provide students with greater flexibility in their professional field of study as well as opportunities for job advancement. Graduates of the Health Science A.A.S. degree have a wide range of career options within the healthcare setting, including hospitals, clinics, home health agencies, and physician offices as well as scientific, sales or technical services firms within the health science industries.