Feb 29, 2024
Applied Process Technology Program Coordinator
This Skill Set will enable students to employ safe work practices, take precision measurements, apply basic machine concepts, install and identify fasteners, and use various hand tools. Students will be able to work on mechanical drive systems, including belt drives, chain drives, and gear drives. Students will be able to perform elementary coupling and shaft alignment, and apply lubrication principles.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this Skill Set, completers will be able to do the following:
- Describe and demonstrate safe work practices.
- Identify and use basic and trade related hand, power and precision measurement tools
- Assemble gear drives, belt drives, chain drives, and clutching and braking mechanisms
- Demonstrate use of measuring tools to make macro- and micro-measurements
- Recognize and manipulate various fasteners using proper hand tools and methods
- Apply knowledge of components and concepts of mechanical drive systems
- Recognize, install, align, and maintain belt drives
- Recognize, install, align, and maintain chain drives
- Recognize, install, align, and maintain gear drives
- Apply the basic principles of lubrication
- Apply the principles and methods of shaft alignment and couplings
Basic mechanical skills are foundational to any maintenance or operations job. This Skill Set provides the basic skills needed to function effectively in these types of jobs.
Notice to All Students
- Annual Notification: All career and technical education courses and programs are offered at Pierpont regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, or disability.
- Advanced Skill Set and Skill Set programs do not qualify for financial aid. Students seeking financial aid eligible degrees may incorporate the classes as electives when their schedule allows or may declare an associate or certificate degree in which the skill set and advanced skill set courses are embedded.
- Students are reminded to review campus policies and procedures as stated in the catalog.