John “Chris” Toothman, Technical Drafting Coordinator
The Technical Drafting Certificate program will not admit students for the 2023-2024 academic year.
The Technical Drafting program at Pierpont Community and Technical College is designed to provide students with a more focused plan to enter or re-enter the workforce with basic drafting skills and entry-level competency in computer-aided drafting in 1 year. Strong emphasis is placed on American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards and modern industrial practice.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the AAS degree in Drafting/Design Engineering Technology, graduates will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate competency with manual drawing on a board and comply with drafting standards
- Use tools and technologies of CAD draftsperson effectively
- Use a computer workstation to produce engineering drawings and manage engineering related data
- Complete and edit drawings
- Demonstrate skills in oral, written, and graphical communication
- Enter the job market or continue pursuing an advanced degree
- Function as a team member
Graduates with this C.A.S. degree are qualified for entry-level technical positions in mapping, mechanical, and civil drafting. The strong math, and technical background provided by this degree allow graduating students to enter the job market as technicians, drafters, and CAD operators. In northcentral West Virginia the opportunities are centered in the Architectural, Engineering, electrical power generation, transmission, and distribution sectors.