Medical Laboratory Assistant Program Coordinator
This program is designed to prepare students to work in a medical laboratory. Students will learn medical laboratory specimen collection procedures and point of care testing procedures. This certificate program is designed for completion in two semesters. Successful completers will also earn the Phlebotomy Advanced Skill Set and the Point of Care Technician Skill Set.
Admission into the Medical Laboratory Assistant, C.A.S. program is based upon the following criteria:
- Apply to Pierpont Community and Technical College for the term you want to begin the program and meet the general admission requirements or be a current student
- First-time students should select “Health Sciences: Laboratory Assistant” as their educational goal on their application.
- Current students will need to complete a Change of Major form and select “Medical Laboratory Assistant (Certificate)” as their requested major.
- Have a high school and/or college GPA of 2.0 or better or passing score on High School Equivalency Exam.
Qualified students are accepted into the program until capacity is met.
*Students can begin the program in the spring or fall semesters.
- Students must pass a criminal background clearance check, meet health and immunization requirements, and drug testing.
- Students must be able to meet the essential functions of the program and classes, with or without accommodations.
- Students will need to provide their own transportation to assigned clinical sites.
Students must complete each course in the Medical Laboratory Assistant program model schedule with a grade of “C” or higher and maintain an overall 2.0 GPA to remain in the program. Students who receive a “D” or “F” in a course must repeat the course before continuing in the program’s course sequence. If students receive two such grades in the same course, they will be removed from the program.
Readmission to the Medical Laboratory Assistant Program will be determined on an individual basis. The decision will be made by the Medical Laboratory Assistant Admissions Committee on the basis of the student’s prior academic performance in the program, the student’s qualifications when compared to the other applicants, and the availability of space.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Medical Laboratory Assistant Certificate Program, graduates will be able to do the following:
- Collect samples to be analyzed in a medical laboratory.
- Demonstrate professional qualities of a medical laboratory assistant.
- Perform point of care testing and obtain accurate results.
- Analyze quality assurance and quality control data.
Graduates may go directly into the workforce. Medical Laboratory Assistants may perform a variety of tasks depending upon where they are employed. They may perform phlebotomies, use computers and computer-interfaced equipment; perform quality assurance checks; collect and prepare samples for analysis; clean, maintain and set up equipment used in experiments or laboratory analyses; follow safety procedures; properly dispose of biological wastes; maintain laboratory supplies; perform routine mathematical calculations; or prepare chemical solutions, reagents and media.
Graduates may also choose to apply for admission into one of the competitive Associate degree health sciences programs at Pierpont Community & Technical College or transfer into a Baccalaureate degree program. Graduates of the Medical Laboratory Assistant program who are admitted into a Pierpont Associate Degree Health Sciences Program can complete credit hours toward that degree (depending on the major) before beginning of the Associate degree program, including the Health Sciences (AAS).
The Medical Laboratory Assistant program is currently affiliated with several medical institutions where students obtain practical experience in blood drawing techniques. Students are required to have background clearances, meet essential functions, and submit health documentation before attending clinical placements.
Med Lab Asst and Phlebotomy Handbook 2022