Oct 07, 2022
Applied Process Technology Program Coordinator
This Skill Set enables students to apply the basic concepts of electricity, voltage, current, power, and resistance. The Skill Set also enables students to apply basic concepts of alternating current specific to the industrial worksite including electromagnetism, transformers, motors, generators, circuit protection devices, and other key electrical components.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this Skill Set, completers will be able to do the following:
- Explain the following as applied to electrical circuits including principles and applicable laws:
- Inductance, capacitance, impedance, resonance, resistance and reactance
- Series, Parallel and Combination Circuits
- Compare and contrast single phase and three phase power.
- Explain applications of AC and DC circuits in the Petroleum, Power Generation and Distribution or Manufacturing Industries.
- Apply electrical safety principles including lockout tag out
- Measure voltage, current and resistance using analog and digital multimeter.
- Build basic operational parallel and series DC and AC circuits including circuit protection.
- Calculate circuit voltage, amperage and resistance given two variables.
- Apply electrical laws.
- Interpret and use basic electrical drawings to troubleshoot and understand circuitry.
- Build or connect basic motor control circuits.
- Draw, build, and troubleshoot a basic control circuit.
Skills that enable students to function in a power generation station, midstream processing plant, or in a manufacturing facility as an operator or maintenance technician are skills that are in-demand.
Notice to All Students
- Annual Notification: All career and technical education courses and programs are offered at Pierpont regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, or disability.
- Advanced Skill Set and Skill Set programs do not qualify for financial aid. Students seeking financial aid eligible degrees may incorporate the classes as electives when their schedule allows or may declare an associate or certificate degree in which the skill set and advanced skill set courses are embedded.
- Students are reminded to review campus policies and procedures as stated in the catalog.